Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Coffee House logo - but no coffee

For a while now I have been working on designing a new logo for Butler University's Coffee House Committee, which puts on events such as open mic nights, poetry slams, concerts, etc. in Butler's campus coffee house.  One of the first things I noticed in my research was that the committee's name was spelled both "Coffeehouse" and "Coffee House" on various websites and sources.  I told them that from a branding standpoint, that is an insanely huge no-no, and that they should decide on one or the other before we finalized the logo and then stick with that spelling from here on out, with which they agreed.

One of the only guidelines for the logo was that they did not want anything coffee-related, i.e. no mugs, no coffee stains, no browns, no coffee beans.  Here were a few of my first ideas, in very basic form:






These ideas were constructed before they had reached a decision on whether or not it was "coffeehouse" or "coffee house", but they were just to give them examples of directions we could take.  


This is a later version of a logo that was going for a more official collegiate sort of look.  They liked mic and the positioning, but not the tagline or the formality.  


This was a sleeker, smoother version I tried, which is actually my favorite of the designs I did for them.  The committee ended up choosing this version below, which I designed to look more "arty", with paint strokes, handwriting font, and a sketched version of the mic:


They said it embodies the nature of their committee perfectly, so I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment