Monday, October 18, 2010

Evolution of a Logo: Creative Filmmakers - Part 1

A few months ago I wrote a series of posts showing my process from beginning to completion of Urban Chick Boutique's logo. You can view that series of posts here. I received a lot of comments on those posts, so I decided to do it again.

This time my client is a Cleveland-based independent film company, Creative Filmmakers. I have been hired to create a new logo for them, as well as do some work on their website, which can be viewed here.

I like to design logos first in black and white so that they look good if they ever have to be printed without color. Once the core logo is completed, I try adding color and see where it takes me/us.  The client requested something fairly "corporate-looking," but with a bit of "arty"ness to it as well. Below are some of my first attempts at the logo:


For this initial design, I started with a large black circle, drew an eye shape and then subtracted it from the circle.  Next, to make the pupil, I added a smaller black circle inside and subtracted an even smaller white circle from that to finish off the eye.   


This was a second idea I had that plays with an abstract image of a film reel.  It consists of mostly black and white circles as well, and I also used a paintbrush tool for the incomplete circles in the center and on the outside of the reel.
  

This was an example I gave to the client of how the logo would appear next to the name of the company horizontally.  I added a white circle to the A to make a visual connection with the eye logo, as well as to emphasize the word creative.  

This was an example I gave to my client of what the title would look like if we placed it underneath one of the circular logos.  

Finally, just to provide another option for the client, I tried this logo which was simply the name of the company and a mock-up of a film strip, which is made solely of black and white rectangles.  

Please check back later this week for more logo work for Creative Filmmakers.  And please take a look at their work at www.creativefilmmakers.org!

No comments:

Post a Comment