Monday, June 7, 2010

Urban Chick Boutique in Cincinnati, Phase 1

For a while now I have been working on a commission to design the logo for a women's accessories and clothing boutique opening up in Anderson Twp. in Cincinnati called "Urban Chick".  The logo will eventually be printed on the store's sign as well as business cards and various print items.  I was given very few guidelines so I began by creating some quick drafts of possibilities, the best of which are shown below:

In this design, I was going for a light, perky and fun look using random-sized ovals and an Easter palate, as well as a font that I think is really cool called "Party".
 
 The owner described her boutique as having a "New York City feel" so in order to capture that, I created this design inspired by the NYC Subway lines, using roughly the same color scheme as the existing lines.  Since there are no U, H, I, or K lines, I used black for those letters, and the result was a design that didn't have a clear pattern or any immediately apparent uniformity, which I believe worked well and helped to convey the city atmosphere.
 
This design used the same "Party" font as before but I put it in front of a rough cutout of the Cincinnati skyline with yellow font on black to evoke the idea of city lights at night. 

In tomorrow's post I will show the next phase of the design process for Urban Chick's logo and branding, as we narrowed down the designs and played with colors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment